Cisco OSPF Basic Configuration In this Cisco CCNA tutorial, you’ll learn how to do a basic configuration of OSPF on our Cisco routers. Scroll down for the video and also text…
Introduction to Cyber Security
Learn the essentials of cyber security and build your skills to better protect your digital information from security threats.
Modern life depends on online services, so having a better understanding of cyber security threats is vital.
On this eight-week course from The Open University and guided by Cory Doctorow, you’ll learn how to recognise online security threats that could harm you and explore the steps you can take to minimise your risk.
This course is supported by the UK Government’s National Cyber Security Programme, is NCSC Certified Training, and is IISP accredited.
Explore how to improve your network security and protect your data as it moves around the internet
Internet routers are designed to move data to its destination, which could take your data through several routers across the world. This creates vulnerabilities that allow that data to be copied.
On this course, you’ll discover tips and strategies to protect your data on a network, including firewalls and VPNs. and will learn Cyber Security. You’ll also explore intrusion detection systems (IDS) and honeypots to detect attacks.
Assess the current threat landscape and how to protect against it
Our lives increasingly depend on digital services, which makes the internet an attractive target for criminals.
You’ll start this course by looking at the array of current threats to our information assets. You’ll assess the different vulnerable points at risk of a security breach, how threats exploit those vulnerabilities, and some countermeasures that you can use to guard against these threats.
Discover the uses of cryptography and network encryption
Cryptography is a specialised area of mathematics concerned with protecting information so that it can be transmitted and received securely.
This course will guide you through this technique for protecting information, from explaining encryption keys to exploring real-world uses of cryptography.
Syllabus of learn Cyber Security
- Week 1Threat landscape
- Week 2Authentication
- Week 3Malware
- Week 4Networking and communications
- week 5Cryptography
- Week 6Network security
- Week 7When your defences fail
- Week 8Managing security risks
Who is this accredited by?
NCSC – APMG:
This course is certified by APMG on behalf of the NCSC (part of GCHQ). The NCSC protects critical services from cyber attacks, manages major incidents and improves the security of the UK Internet.
The Institute of Information Security Professionals:
The Certificate of Achievement for this course demonstrates awareness of cyber security issues across 12 of the IISP skills groups.
When would you like to start to learn Cyber Security?
Start straight away and join a global classroom of learners. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
- Available nowJoin today
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- Explain basic cyber security terminology; have skills for keeping up to date on cyber security issues; and be able to identify information assets.
- Describe basic authentication mechanisms; have skills to improve their password security; and be aware of alternative authentication methods.
- Identify main malware types; awareness of different malware propagation methods; and skills for preventing malware infections.
- Describe cryptography terminology; be able to use cryptography for email; be aware of applications of cryptography.
- Demonstrate understanding of firewalls, virtual private networks and network intrusion detection and prevention technologies.
- Describe legal and regulatory issues relating to cyber security; and understand how to recover from security failures.
- Apply basic risk analysis and management techniques.
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone interested in improving their online security, whether at home or at work. You do not need any prior knowledge to benefit from this course as it has been created with beginners in mind.
The Open University
As the UK’s largest university, The Open University (OU) supports thousands of students to achieve their goals and ambitions via supported distance learning, helping to fit learning around professional and personal life commitments.
- LocationMilton Keynes, UK
- World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020