Cisco OSPF Basic Configuration In this Cisco CCNA tutorial, you’ll learn how to do a basic configuration of OSPF on our Cisco routers. Scroll down for the video and also text…
Coaching Skills: Sports Coaching and Leadership
Learn valuable sports coaching skills to lead and motivate your high-performing team with this ExpertTrack from Deakin University.
Upskill in sports leadership and coaching to maximise your team’s performance
Coaching skills have been increasingly sought-after to improve the performance of teams as well as individual athletes.
On this ExpertTrack, you’ll be empowered to become a confident and inspirational sports coach.
Using the international coaching experience of business and elite sports coach, Paddy Upton, you’ll explore concepts from sports psychology, coaching and leadership that can be applied to teams in a number of contexts.
Learn how to navigate coaching in a changing landscape
The coaching landscape is fast-changing, and you need to be adaptable to stay relevant and effective.
You’ll learn important strategies to help guide you through the changing coaching landscape, and the techniques that go beyond simply instructing.
Implement an athlete-centred approach
You’ll analyse the differences between a coach-centred and athlete-centred approach to coaching, and how these impact the performance of your athletes.
You’ll learn how to implement effective athlete-centred strategies to create a collaborative relationship and help them reach their potential.
Go on a journey of personal mastery
You’ll learn how to improve your emotional intelligence as you discover the relationship between self-awareness and being an effective leader.
You’ll understand how to become more self-aware, and how this affects your ability to give instructions as a leader or coach.
Find out how to create a positive and cohesive team culture
You’ll discover how to use different coaching principles and strategies to create a positive and supportive environment.
You’ll learn how your role as a coach is an important part of establishing an inclusive team culture, and how this affects performance.
Understand the importance of the mental game
You’ll examine the significance of mental fitness and how you can coach the mental game to help your athletes perform without any distractions.
Key skills you will learn in Sports Coaching
- Athlete-centred coaching
- Sports leadership
- Culture building
- Servant leadership
- Team development
- Sports coaching
- Team building
- Values-based coaching
- Sports management
By the end of the ExpertTrack, you’ll be able to…
- Investigate the impact of a coach- or athlete-centred approach on athlete development and performance and apply those principles in practice with Sports Coaching.
- Recognise the changing landscape of coaching and apply innovative approaches to coaching that move beyond instructing
- Investigate the role successful coaches play in developing a positive and cohesive team culture and apply this in practice
- Analyse the difference between the thinking and the instinctive brain and evaluate how their separate functions impact key moments when applying frameworks and strategies for coaching the mental game
There are no entry requirements for this ExpertTrack.
The ability to coach high-performing teams is essential for anyone coaching at an elite sporting level. You’ll gain insights into the psychology behind coaching and learn from one of the best minds in the field.
This course will suit you if you are looking to grow your skills in coaching. You could be just starting your career or you may have prior coaching experience with Sports Coaching.
This ExpertTrack will suit you if you are looking to grow your skills in coaching.
It will particularly benefit you if you are a current or prospective coach looking to broaden your skills or become a better coach. It will also suit you if you are a student considering postgraduate study in sports or nutrition, or an athlete transitioning to personal training work.
ExpertTrack course overview
- Course 1
- Coaching Skills: A changing landscape Learn how coaching has changed over time and how to navigate this fast-moving landscape.1 test2 weeks3 hours per week
- Course 2
- Coaching Skills: An athlete-centred approach Find out what happens when you place teams and individuals at the centre of their own learning and reflection.1 test2 weeks3 hours per week
- Course 3
- Coaching Skills: Leadership and self-awareness Explore how self-awareness affects coaching and leadership, learning how to become emotionally intelligent and self-aware.1 test2 weeks3 hours per week
- Course 4
- Coaching Skills: Team culture Discover the importance of defining meaning and purpose to create a positive, supportive and inclusive team culture.1 test2 weeks3 hours per week
- Course 5
- Coaching Skills: The mental game Understand how to coach the ‘mental game’ by investigating and managing the impact of fear, flow and focus on performance.1 test2 weeks3 hours per week
Prove you’re job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
How ExpertTracks work
Join an ExpertTrack to master new skills in your chosen specialist area. Work through a series of topic-focused courses at your own pace, and pass the final assessment to earn a digital certificate award which proves your expertise.
Join a free 7-day trial
Decide if the ExpertTrack is right for you with free access to the full suite of courses and assessments for a week.
Keep learning for ₹900/month
Pay a monthly subscription fee of ₹900 for as long as it takes you to complete the ExpertTrack. You can learn at your own pace and cancel at any time.
Earn digital certificates with Sports Coaching
Receive a certificate for every completed course and pass the final assessment to earn a digital certificate.
Become an expert
Use your specialist training to progress further in your career or build expertise in areas you’re passionate about.
World-class learning with Deakin University
Deakin University is one of Australia’s largest universities with more than 61,000 students and over 15,000 online.
- LocationMelbourne, Australia
- World rankingTop 280Source: QS World University Rankings 2021
Meet your instructor
I’m a Professor of Practice at Deakin University, coach of professional cricket teams and athletes, and business coach – which I do to support my surfing, fishing and stand-up paddling habits.
Start learning today – free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay ₹900 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage of Sports Coaching
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends